PEOPLE with wood-burning stoves or open fires are once again being reminded of the importance of clean flues after another spate of chimney fires in Mid Devon.
On Saturday at 4.30pm crews dealt with a chimney fire in Wellands Close, Uffculme, an hour after one in Latchmore Green, Thorverton.
Just half an hour before the Thorverton fire two crews, one from Chulmleigh and one from Witheridge, were sent to deal with a chimney fire at a thatched property in the Square, Witheridge. Fortunately the fire was put out before it spread to the thatch.
Earlier on Saturday morning a crew from Witheridge was sent to Black Dog, near Crediton. They used ladders to climb onto the top of a property in the village to put out a fire which had broken out in a chimney there.
The Fire Service was called to a report of a chimney on fire. One fire appliance from Witheridge was mobilised to the incident.
The previous night a fire broke out in a chimney at Lammacott Farm, Bow.
This fire was more serious than the others and another crew was called in. It was finally put out just before 2am on Saturday.
The fire service says chimney fires can be avoided by regular sweeping of flues. Only seasoned wood should be burned.