Tiverton library scheme to aid memory loss goes county-wide
By tinap | Monday, January 21, 2013, 14:37
A scheme to improve people's memory and mental wellbeing piloted at Tiverton library has been so successful it has been rolled out to other libraries in Devon.
A Tiverton library scheme to help memory loss is now available in other Devon libraries
The 'Get into Reading' programme was launched by Devon County Council two years ago and included 'The Library Memory Group' and the 'Feel Better with a Book' group. Exeter Central library also trialled the scheme which is aimed at improving people's memory.
Members of the 'Library Memory Group' listen to texts read aloud by a specially trained facilitator from the Reader Organisation who then encourages them to join in as little or as much as they wish. The free weekly groups are small, supportive and friendly gatherings where people can come and share reading and make connections with literature in a relaxing environment.
The 'Feel Better with a Book' group improves people's wellbeing, confidence and self-esteem by making connections with books. They give people a place to relax and a chance to make new friends. Reading short stories and poems together is an excellent way to get to know new people, and often prompts positive responses to life experiences.
The scheme has been so successful, a further £100,000 has been invested to set up five more 'Library Memory Groups' and seven more 'Feel Better with a Book' groups across Devon.
The Library Memory Group is now available at:
• Barnstaple Library - Tuesdays from 10.30-12noon Phone 01271 388593
• Exeter Central Library (Hoskins Room) – Wednesdays from 10.30-12noon Phone: 01392 384223.
• Exmouth Library - Wednesdays from 3-4.30pm Phone: 01395 272677.
• Ivybridge Library - Wednesdays 10.30-12noon Phone: 01752 893140.
• Passmore Edwards Centre, Newton Abbot - Tuesdays 2.00-3.30pm Phone: 01392 384012.
The Feel Better with a Book group is now available at:
• Bideford Library – Wednesdays from 10.30-12noon Phone: 01237 476075.
• Exeter Central Library (Hoskins Room) - Tuesdays from 10.30-12noon Phone: 01392 384223.
• The Hayridge, Cullompton - Fridays from 2-3.30pm Phone: 01392 388400.
• Ilfracombe Library (Community Room) - Tuesdays from 2-3.30pm Phone: 01271 862388.
• Tavistock Library - Wednesdays from 2-3.30pm Phone: 01822 612218.
• Tiverton Library - Fridays from 10.30-12noon Phone: 01884 244644.
• Totnes Mansion House - Fridays from 2-3.30pm (Harberton Room) Phone: 01803 862210.
More information about The Reader Organisation is available on their website – www.thereader.org.uk/ or via Area Project Manager Sarah Hopkins on 01364 653994.